Tuesday 1 December 2015

Why I am so open about my disability?

Hi,

I thought I would write this post because there's a lot of stigma attached to disability and I try to be as honest with people about my condition as I can because I feel people need to educated in the way they treat people with ,especially physical, disabilities.

One of the main reasons why I'm so open about my condition is cause its every day thing for me and I know no difference. In my family, I'm not the only one who has disability, my mum has bilateral dysplasia which affects her hips,so I've grown up around people who also are disabled, so its something we talk about a lot at home, I feel this gives me the courage to talk to people about how disability affects me from two perspectives: as a disabled person myself and as a daughter of a disabled person which is very Important.

I choose to be open. It's not like I am being forced to be or anything, I could just get on with it by myself but that's not who I am. The world is full of ignorant people- I could of called them a lot worse, a whole lot worse- but the point is I want my generation to learn now so when they are in the big bad world they aren't afraid to ask questions and more importantly not to be discriminative against us or indeed anyone. In my opinion That should just everyday common sense; what hurts the most is that it can come from people who you are friends with and they don't even know what they are doing to you in your head, I learnt that the hard way in PE. 

Also what's the point of hiding your own disability from others? People who are ignorant will Become discriminative towards you, even if they can't tell that they are and that's just hell to be honest. Having a disability, you need to learn to stand up for yourself! Part of that for me is to tell people about your disability and how they need to understand how to treat you. In September,our first English lessons were about writing a letter to our teacher to tell her about us and in my first paragraph I was talking about cerebral palsy,my blog and the way I adapt to different things in class. That really helped me to get across it to her or for other teachers I have talked about my blog and they read it and that helps as well. So basically don't be afraid to talk about disability because it only educates people and that's a good thing.

I hope you liked this 

Byeeeeeeeee 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ruthie, as I read your blog it's as if you are sitting here with me, the way you write is the way you are.

    ReplyDelete