Thursday 17 December 2015

The wonderful carers!

Hi,

Today I'm going to write about something that is a regular occurrence for many disabled people, including moi, but hasn't really been spoken about from a young persons point of view; having carers.

So what actually is a carer?
Well Google says 'carer-a family member or paid helper who regularly looks after a child or a sick, elderly, or disabled person.' Now this is true to an point but to so many these people are way much more they are fast thinking, supportive, non-judgmental, a companion; most importantly these people are practically our freedom-givers.

Whenever people, non-disabled or perhaps people who don't need carers, ask me about having carers it's always weird for me, 'cause I know no difference. I can't imagine a time in my life when I haven't gotten support at home or whatever. I'm extremely lucky in that sense, some disabled people have smaller packages meaning less care and less freedom I guess.

In my life time we have had about 50 odd carers. It's a lot I know but some people don't realise how hard this job really is, even I know that. But more recently that I'm more involved in the interview process and helping pick the right applicants for the role;to be honest it's really scary. I mean its a stranger. There's always that subconscious alarm in my head that she will be some sort of crazed axe murderer-it could happen! Anyway for me interviews are weird because the applicants can be dead serious and nervous and that puts me on edge.

One thing that confuses me is other people's perspective on me and my carers. Like I am pretty laid back with my carers but what do other people,who don't know that I have carers, do they think they are my sisters?,cousins?,my aunts? I don't know but it makes me wonder.
I was shopping somewhere with my mum in her wheelchair  and my carer when I was like a toddler and we had to use the staff lift and only my mum could fit in it so me,my carer and the shop assistant went down the stairs next to it. Me being an attached toddler I couldn't bare being separated from my mum so I started crying. the shop assistant said to me 'Don't worry, grandma will be out soon' implying my carer was my mum and my mum was my grandma, but the worst thing-my mum heard everything! Anyway most people do pre judge and that's one of the funniest ones I've experienced.

So in all carers are a life line for many and they really don't get the credit they deserve so a massive THANK YOU from me and I really appreciate and understand how hard and grueling this job can be.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment