Friday 11 December 2015

Self-conscious shopping

Hi,

So this post is going to be about an experience that I've had a certain shopping centre nicknamed meadowhell by many, a righteous name for it,especially near Christmas!

Whenever I'm out and using my chair, which isn't that often anymore, I always get a bit self-conscious about people looking at me and I feel that people,what's the best way to say this? Well,to be honest they think I'm a bit thick, and that's purely based on my physical appearance eg my disability/wheelchair.

Now, for when kids aged 1-5 stares,I don't mind as much, they aren't use to wheelchairs or disabilities but they don't really care about that I'm disabled, so I just smile back. But what gets me is when the parents get anxious around my disability. Just a couple months ago I was wheeling through said shopping Center with my friend and we were sitting in somewhere like Starbucks, and a table over there was a toddler just smiling at us probably wondering 'why is that girl in a buggy (wheelchair) like me?' Anyway we just smiled back, then the mum came back and she turned around; looked at my friend, who is non-disabled,and the mum was fine but when she looked at me she had a sort of look on her face and she got really anxious for some reason. I mean why? Honestly, I don't bite!
Well when I self conscious I do get a bit sensitive but I remember thinking 'what does this kid- to be scared of disabled people?' I don't know

Well that's it 

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


No comments:

Post a Comment