Wednesday 27 April 2016

PSA: wheelchair users...........

Hi,
This is going to only short PSA (public service announcement) but it's very important too realise and I've mentioned it in previous post but I feel on behalf of the disabled community, I need to re-empathise this.

Wheelchairs are uses for ambiguous reason aside from paralysis, it could be very painful for that person to walk, it could be due to over tiredness, not have the strength to walk, hyperflexibility, shortness of breath/low lung capacity, fragility of the muscle, joints or skin.

People stop harassing wheelchair users when they stand up and walk with out the aid of the chair in public! They're not trying to get attention, they're not even trying to impress you- they are purely trying to do their day to day business, likewise to you, and it is not your place to determine whether or not that person needs an mobility aid, such as a wheelchair. 

You aren't a doctor- and trust me, they know their needs a hella lot better than you will.
Thanks
Sincerely,

The semi-wheelchair user community
PSA/Rant concluded- you are free to go!

Byeeeeeeeeeee

1 comment:

  1. :) Well said Ruthie. I've witnessed this first hand since doing wheelchair basketball (Yes- WHEELCHAIR basketball) (that was aimed at people that don't know me that well)
    Even tho I'm 'able bodied' I've been told by the docs that unless they can perform a miracle and 'fix' my wonky legs (they aren't really wonky, but let's just say they are- it saves time tryna explain it) I may end up having to use a wheelchair part time, especially when going out for long periods of time.
    And yea, I use the lift even tho I'm currently not in a wheelchair. So what?? There's obviously a reason behind it, and the relevant staff do know about this, so keep your fat nose out- It's nothing to do with you! (This is aimed at one person in particular, but applies to anyone)

    ReplyDelete