Friday 1 April 2016

Pathetic sob stories

Hi,

This is a weird blog post for me to write because it could be perceived as me B**ching (woo I swore sorry) about the disabled community, it's not. My blog, my opinion- just saying.

You know what I absolutely hate? When parents/guardians of PWDs use their children's disabilities as a sob story. Okay, I understand that finding out and diagnostic tests can be traumatic experiences and I totally get that medical terminology is like an alien language; what I don't get is when parents take it a bit too far and use it to draw sympathy and attention to themselves and make it out like they live such a hard life all because their child has a disability.

So before you even consider having a child, you should be ready to handle a disabled child, twins, or a child who has a different sexuality to you. 'Cause if you're not ready to 'cope' with a child who isn't straight/cis or able bodied/ Neurotypical, they are going to be, in one form or another, abused for many years to come.


And even if you get the 'dream' baby you may have a feminine boy or a masculine girl, you need to be able to let them be who they are not how you imagined them to be- they aren't your property.

I am so fed up with and tired of parental sob stories about how 'hard' it is to 'raise' who is different from the perfect or norm.


You know what's harder then those pathetic sob stories? The child knowing that they have almost let down their parents for existing in a way their parents didn't ask for and worse living knowing that they weren't what their parents were planning or expecting. And for so many people this is the reality however unrealistic it may seem.

Let's let that sink in

Byeeeeeeeee

3 comments:

  1. Profound and deep thinking, as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this this morning and have been thinking about it all day and wondering how on earth someone at the age of 12, can be so insightful. I am excited to read all your other posts and I'm even more excited and privileged to be able to watch you grow into someone who can really make some big changes happen in our world Ruth. Well done Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know where you are coming from, sometimes I feel like I'm a 'failure' or a 'disappointment' to my family just 'cause I've got Asperger's. I feel like I've let my niece and nephew down, 'cause I can't play football in the park, or 'cause I can't go out on long walks with them before my feet and legs hurt.

    ReplyDelete