Friday 6 May 2016

Really? Faking disability......

Hi,


Okay,


Why do some people still think that people fake having disabilities?

I personally have never heard of someone faking their disability to get special accommodations or  'treatment' as some may put it. We constantly are fighting a losing battle to prove ourselves of our disabilities in order to get the support/accommodations we need for school, work and everyday life, especially when the PWD has an invisible disability that others don't realise because they 'don't look disabled'.

Of course accusing someone of faking a disabilities, especially an invisible on, is being ableist and harmful towards that individual! As a member of the general public it is not your place to ask for evidence, such as audiologist graphs for proof of deafness or to see medication for depression, you aren't helping them. (It sounds far-fetched, it does happen!) 

By doing this sort of thing it's making it harder for PWDs to advocate themselves BECAUSE they are wasting their time trying to prove they have disabilities, instead of focusing on improving accessibility and spreading awareness.

Even IF that particular person was lying, let that part of the disabled community handle it themselves! It's not any other person's place to generalise that all people with that certain disability are lying from that point onwards.

We don't need, nor want generalisation to shadow our community.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

4 comments:

  1. Well said Ruthie! What you were saying bout 'hidden' disabilities is true with me. I'm always getting accused of 'making up' my "disability". I'm fed up of people assuming that just 'cause I don't LOOK "disabled", doesn't mean that I don't have ASD, DCD and Phonophobia! It really grates me when people are constantly telling Gary and Karen at lunch that I'm 'pushing in' or asking why I get to 'cut' the cue. I get to 'cut' the cue because of my friggin' ASD you insensitive ableistic moronic waste of space!
    And NEVER touch me, whether it's on my head, my arm or whatever. Even if it's meant to be a 'joke' 'cause I don't find it funny! The only time I give people consent to 'hug' me or anything is:
    a) they are my friends
    b It's for my own safety
    c) I know to expect it
    d) they also have special needs and can't 'help it'
    If I catch someone touching me and they DON'T have permission, well let's just say I won't be accountable for my actions. (They will end up on their a***s if they aren't careful, and I'll be shoving my fist down their throat!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not disabled... but if you want special treatment go for it. But just be happy you can move your arms and legs. You type very well for being supposedly "Autistic." The day you stop feeling sorry for yourself and limiting yourself by labeling yourself as disabled you'll find you'll be a lot happier. There's a guy in Brazil who has no arms but can build wooden toys with his feet. HE IS DISABLED! YOU ARE NOT! Stop whining everyone has problems and disadvantages like you may have, but stop labeling yourself as DISABLED. People with Cp are disabled- not you!

      Delete
  2. People think others fake disabilities because unfortunately people do. Just look at the many undercover stings that bust people all the time for faking a disease or illness. I see it every day personally as I work for a medical transport company. It is not my place to diagnose or condemn these people but whenever someone can manipulate or scam the system unfortunately you'll have a few bad apples spoil it for the rest. I have a younger brother with a disability so I'm particularly upset when I see someone taking money from tax payers because they'd like to "check-out" from society and avoid any responsibility for themselves. I believe people with real disabilities need help and care, but people who fake it end up taking money from people who really could use it. Sorry, it's unfortunate but it's a reality whether you want to believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your article. Thanks Again. Cool.Gentle Care Support Services

    ReplyDelete