Tuesday 12 January 2016

'disabled' parents.......

Hi,

So I wanted to write something a bit more personal to me,as although this is a unique situation for different people, its something that is fairly common-having disabled parents.
like I said before,when it comes to disability effecting families every case is different,my family is different to my friend's and its so simple yet not many get it.

My mum and I are both physically disabled (different disabilities). A lot of the things she can't do e.g. walk,I can (sort of) and vice versa -I guess we make a good team. but I think most importantly we understand what each other is going though so we can talk about pain and hospital and medications without having to imagine too much. I lied there's something way more important,scrap everything I've said the most important thing is that we are Mother and Daughter and have that relationship, that's way more important then anything else.

Now because we have that relationship we (mostly me) get on each others nerves, its natural and its usually because I forget my mum is disabled. For instance, I was upstairs in my room listening to music, and being the lazy person I am I didn't particularly want to walk downstairs just to get a drink. So I did what most pre-teenagers do and shouted "MUUUUUUMMMMMMMM, can I have a drink please" Completely and utterly forgetting the whole wheelchair and stairs thing...... yeah even I,the total disability aware geek, did that. Cut to the end of that story a very unhappy me had to stop listening to music to get my drink myself.   

Overall, having disabled parents is cool (apart from I can't use the 'But I'm disabled' card when I don't want to do something :/) I'm going to contradict myself, they are just parents  not disabled parents-they do exactly the same thing. 

Anyway that's all I want to type so,

byeeeeeeeeeee

2 comments:

  1. WOW Ruthie--your constantly suprising me with your strong independence. Love you to bits!:)

    ReplyDelete